Sunday, January 1, 2012

Tabula Rasa

How many times, over how many blogs, have I written about the idea of the blank slate, or tabula rasa? At least a handful, I would wager. This is the time of year that people make their list of resolutions and announce their intentions to the world. I may follow, I may not.

Since moving to San Francisco in September 2010, and now to the Dallas area in October 2011, I have wandered aimlessly with respect to my own goals. Or so it seems that way. When I look back on 2011 and chronicle my adventures for my annual Christmas letter, there was never a dull moment in each month. There were 4 trips to Canada, 2 presentations at a national conference, a long distance move, and probably over 1,000 cookies baked for hubby's coworkers. But when you have goals in life, and a full time job, sometimes it seems easier to accomplish those goals - you may be more driven to accomplish them. When you are living unconsciously, it is easy to forget that you have dreams and that there are things that you are passionate about.

I am passionate about baking. Not so much the eating (I sample and send the goodies away), but the nourishing of others. I also really enjoy the tranquility of the kitchen and the creativity of trying new recipes. I love when my cookies make people smile.

I am passionate about being a good listener and inciting passion. It was only natural for me to take my own passion and channel it into becoming a certified professional coach, and providing friends and clients with attentiveness, support, compassion and excitement. I am really excited by the possibilities available in 2012 as I venture further into coaching and public speaking.

Am I wiping the slate clean? Yes and no. I wouldn't want a completely blank slate - I think it is important to be able to see our past mistakes for what they are, learning opportunities. I also give myself permission to be okay with taking a break from being hyper-focused and driven for the past year and a bit. I have been busy, perhaps not as busy as I could have been, but it all has its purpose. I am physically healthier, as well as more mentally balanced, having shown myself loving kindness this past year.

My approach to 2012 is to create clarity, action and passion for my goals. I am creating short term, mid term and long term goals. In each I ask, am I excited, does this bring me closer to who I wish to be? There are opportunities that surround each of us, and this year I will continue saying YES! to the universe and its opportunities.

What will you write on your slate for 2012? Who are you becoming, with each day?

2 comments:

  1. I love this Jean. It's so simple, direct, and easy to contemplate. I especially love to read about the simplistic gift that cookies can be. That is such a strong message! :D Keep writing! I will read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for me (since you asked)... I would like to be a writer (my first book will be written this year), successful photographer/photography teacher, and editor. I am all of these things already, just in reverse order, and to a much lessor degree of what I want to be.

    Also, I'd like to (finally) do what I said and pay off all of my back debt and live debt-free for a while.

    I would love to see some of your goals (or help you out with them, if you need any help)!

    Much love to you, Jean, as you embark on an exciting new year of success!

    ReplyDelete